Welcome to our new Recreation information page! Here you will find general facility contact information and hours, recent news and updates, answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and soon, schedules of events.
Recreation Contact & Hours
8 Barn View Drive
Bellingham, WA 98229
Community Center Hours
Monday through Friday: 6 AM to 9 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 7 AM to 7 PM
Fitness Center Hours
Monday through Friday: 5 AM to 9 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 7 AM to 7 PM
Community Center Staff Hours
Monday through Friday: 10:30 AM to 9 PM
Saturday and Sunday: 9:30 AM to 7 PM
Ken’s Cozy Kitchen Hours
Located at the Community Center
Monday through Friday: 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
Saturday: 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
The Main Pool and Quiet Pool are closed for the season.
Community Center Amenities
- Ken’s Cozy Kitchen. Small cafe serving a variety of breakfast, lunch, snack, and coffee items. See hours of operation above.
- Free Little Library. Located within the Community Center Lounge, the Free Little Library features a myriad of books that can be taken free of charge.
- Board Game Lending Library. Located within the Community Center Lounge, the Board Game Lending Library features many kinds of games available for use. These games are not to be taken home but can be played for free within the Community Center.
- Fitness Center and Locker Rooms. Open 7 days a week. The Fitness Center is located on the first floor of the Community Center. The facility features strength circuit equipment, free weights, cardio (ellipticals, treadmills, rowers, bikes), stretching area, and much more. The Fitness Center is not allowed to be exclusively rented. Also features locker rooms that include bathrooms, changing areas, showers, and free day-use lockers; just bring your own lock.
- Main Pool. This is an outdoor heated Olympic-size swimming pool, which is open on a seasonal basis. Located through the Fitness Center Locker Rooms.
- Sunshine Room. Children’s play room open 7 days a week and free to community members. Features an array of children’s toys and amenities, most suited for children ages seven and under. Can be rented for Birthday parties or other events.
- Game Lounge. Play room, open 7 days a week and free to community members. Features ping pong, air hockey, Foosball, PlayStation 2, and Wii gaming systems.
- Multi-Purpose rooms available for private rental.
- Dance Barn. Large open spaces featuring a stage, two kitchens, wooden dance floor, restroom, and separate back entrance. The space is reminiscent of an old grange hall and can hold up to 400 persons. This is the perfect venue for dances, receptions, large banquets, meetings, or seminars. Alcohol and raw food is not allowed within the facility. Available for private rental.
- Community Center grounds. Located directly in front of the building and adjacent, there is a children’s playground, tennis court, and sports field with soccer and baseball/softball field.
- 2018 Liability Waiver
- Parent Authorization Form for Use of Pool
- Community Center Facility Fees
- Gym & Pool Fees
- Community Center Classes
- Community Center Clubs
News & Updates
- 2 New Fitness Classes Available at the Community Center (2/6/2019)
- Sunshine and Infant Room Closure January 7th through January 31st (12/28/2018)
- Halloween Trunk Or Treat Photos and Costume Contest Winners (11/5/2018)
- NEW Permanent Yoga Class (10/30/2018)
Frequently Asked Questions
Click any question to find the answer.
When will the pools open in 2019?
The pool season will begin on May 25th, 2019 and end September 2nd, 2019; Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day Weekend. The pool schedule will be released in the coming weeks.
How can I access the pools and Fitness Center?
For Sudden Valley Members, you will need to obtain an Access Card and sign a Liability Waiver. An Access Card is an RIFD card with a magnetic strip, which will let you into the Quiet Pool, Main Pool, and Fitness Center. The card features your name and picture. To obtain your card please visit the Community Center at 8 Barn View Court. If you are a non-member, you can purchase a pass at the Community Center during staff hours. Non-members are also required to sign a liability waiver. The Quiet Pool is not available to non-members.
What is the definition of a “Member”?
For the purposes of issuing passes, a Member is a property owner and the occupants of that home.
What is an Access Card?
A magnetic strip card that is issued by the Recreation Department, featuring your name and picture. This card grants the access to the Fitness Center and pool areas.
Who needs an Access Card?
All Members 14 years of age or older needs their own Access Card. Members between 14 and 17 can use the Fitness Center and Main Pool independently. Members 18 years and above have access to both pools and Fitness Center. Children 13 and below cannot use the facilities independently, and must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
How do I get my Access Card?
Go to the Community Center at 8 Barn View Court to get your Access Card. Cards can be applied for Monday through Friday from 10:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. and on weekends from 9:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. They will take your picture, confirm your membership and standing, then process the Card. Each person receiving a card must sign a Liability Waiver. They may ask you to come back and pick the card up later.
How much does an Access Card cost?
Each household receives 1 free card. After that, there is a onetime fee of $8.00 for each additional card. This is to cover the cost of production for the card. Each card takes about 10 minutes to process.
How many Access Cards does a household receive?
Each family in good standing will be issued 1 free card. Additional cards are $8 each. Each card will have the card holder’s picture and be assigned to a person.
Who must sign a Waiver?
Everyone that accesses the Fitness Center or pools must have a signed Waiver of Liability. Children under the age of consent (18) must have their parent or legal guardian sign for them. We require signed Waivers to gain access into the Fitness Center and pools; parents are required to sign a Waiver of Liability for each of their children if they will use the pools or Fitness Center.
Do children require their own Access Card?
Children 14 years of age or older can use the Fitness Center and pool independently; with parent or guardian permission. Therefore, children 14 and above must receive their own card. Children below the age of 14 are not required to have an access card; they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
When is an Access Card not required?
Children under the age of 14 do not have to have their own access card.
Can a Renter in the Valley obtain Member amenity privileges?
Yes, an owner can assign their privileges to the renter. The Association requires a copy of the lease and our Assignment of Recreation membership Rights form to be completed, and submitted, by the property owner to the Recreation manager at email@example.com; forms cannot be submitted by the tenant. Since there is only one amenity privilege per owned property, the owner then gives this right up and will subsequently have to pay to access amenities if they wish to use them.
My babysitter/nanny is not a Sudden Valley Member. Can they take my children to the pool?
Yes. To better accommodate those members who have nannies or babysitters who take their children to the pool, we have created a Parent Authorization Form for Use of Pool. The form allows for the nanny or babysitter “designee”, to accompany the member’s children to the pool at no charge. The Parent Authorization Form needs to be filled out by the member and designee and brought to the Community Center. As usual, all children need a Liability Waiver on file signed by the parent. The babysitter/nanny will need to either bring the member’s Access Card or a valid form of ID to not be charged for entrance.
Can a Member bring a Guest to the pools or Fitness Center?
Yes! Members can bring guests to the pool and Fitness Center. There is a fee for each guest and the guest must fill out a liability waiver at the Recreation Department, located at Barn 8 in the Community Center. There is a day pass, monthly pass, and seasonal pass available for the pool and Fitness Center. The Recreation Department is only able to accept debit or credit card payments; no cash.
Can children use the pools or Fitness Center by themselves?
Children 14 and older who have a Waiver of Liability signed by their parent or guardian can use the Main Pool and Fitness Center independently. This does not exempt children from a swim test or Fitness Center orientation with Recreation staff. Children 13 and under must be accompanied by a responsible adult to use the Main Pool or Fitness Center. For the Quiet Pool, all minors must be accompanied by responsible adult and have passed a Swimmer Test given by an SVCA Lifeguard and be wearing a bracelet issued that day. In addition, one adult may only bring a maximum of two minors to the Quiet Pool. Due to not having Lifeguards that monitor the Quiet Pool, including the water for hazardous debris, non-potty trained children may not use the Quiet Pool. All children 7 and under must have an adult in the water supervising them at all times in the Quiet Pool.
How many children can I bring to the pools?
To promote the safety of our pools, you can bring up to six children per responsible adult to the Main Pool. Children 14 years and above can use the pool by themselves. Therefore, only children 13 and below will count towards this ratio, unless the child 14 years and above is a non-swimmer. In addition, one adult may only bring a maximum of two minors to the Quiet Pool; children must be potty-trained.
Am I allowed to take my children’s friends to the pool?
Yes, but all children need a Liability Waiver signed by their parents. We cannot allow children into the pool who does not have a liability waiver signed by their parent. If the child lives within Sudden Valley, there is no charge. If the child is from outside Sudden Valley there is a fee. However, children five and under are free.
Is the Quiet Pool available for private parties?
Yes, restricted to SVCA Members. Maximum of 30 attendees for two hours. The cost is $150 and requires two weeks’ notice. Not all requests may be granted. The Quiet Pool does not have lifeguards. Therefore, all persons swim at their own risk. Excludes all major holidays. Parties are for exclusive use of the pool facility. Contact the Recreation Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to request a party. Must include a list of all attendees and submission of Waivers for all swimmers prior to the party date.
Is the Main Pool available for private parties?
Yes. The reservation allows up to a maximum of 25 attendees for two hours. The cost is $150 and requires two weeks’ notice. Not all requests may be granted. Parties are dependent on Lifeguard availability. Excludes all major holidays. Parties are not for exclusive use of the pool, and other people may be in the pool and Fitness Center during party time. Contract the Recreation Manager at email@example.com if you would like to request a party. Must include list of all attendees and submission of Waivers for all swimmers prior to party date.