The 2019 Community Fire Wise program is on the Sudden Valley calendar! We have seen the value in our Fire Wise programs in the past and are again offering the program to our entire community this year in all gates. Residents are encouraged to participate, to work together with your neighbors, and to offer help to our seniors.
This year we have dedicated the full month of March to preparing branches so that community groups can pitch in together to mitigate wildfire risk over a longer time frame. Gather up all the woody fuels from around your neighborhoods and set them curbside for free chipping by the Association staff. This simple act will reduce fuels in your neighborhood and mitigate wildfire risk to our entire community. We encourage neighborhood participation!
Stack piles of trimmed branches and woody fuels perpendicular to the street, in a neat pile, no more than 5 feet high by 10 feet wide, with largest diameter ends toward the road. Do not randomly toss branches or make tangled stacks; it creates more work for the chipping crew and slows the process. Larger piles may not be picked up.
Once your materials are set in place, chipping service requests can be submitted using one of three methods:
- Preferred Method – send an email to “email@example.com” requesting branch pickup / chipping / chip delivery. The email must include the property owner’s name, email address, property address, and a contact phone number.
- In person at the Administration Office – fill out a written request which includes the property owner’s name, email address, property address, and a contact phone number. Download the form HERE.
- Call the Administration Office at (360) 734-6430. Your request will be placed on a list. Please do not call the maintenance shop.
Please note that we will only be able to provide this service to those who have submitted requests prior to March 30th. The requests will be used to plan and schedule the SVCA Maintenance staff’s curbside chipping starting Monday, April 1st so that we can be completed by Friday, April 26th. Maintenance will start work at Gate 13 and finish in Gate 5 over these four weeks. A map is available HERE showing the approximate pick-up schedule.
- Branch diameter: Tree limbs from 1/2 inch up to seven (7) inches in diameter.
- Branch length: Minimum of 2-foot-long. Maximum: Unlimited (the longer the better).
- Branch pile size per owner lot: 10-foot-long by 10-foot-wide by 5-feet-high.
- Branch pile must be located next to the firm surface of the road, so the maintenance staff has ready access. We will not be able to work across ditches or access private property.
- Service requests must be received by 4:00 p.m., March 29, 2019.
What we cannot chip:
- Yard waste, ferns leaves, brush, bramble berry vines, etc.
- Manufactured lumber (2 x 4s, etc.)
Free Wood Chip Delivery:
- By popular request SVCA staff will deliver one 5-yard truck load on a first-requested basis, while supplies last. This delivery service is included on the Fire Wise service request form.
We will keep information flowing using email blasts (if you haven’t signed up, please do so on the SVCA homepage), social media announcements, and Sudden Valley Community Association website. We need word-of-mouth, grassroots discussions to spread across our beautiful valley to make it healthier, more beautiful, and safer for each resident!
Sudden Valley Community Association and Fire Wise are committed to partnering in safety. This is clearly evident in the SVCA response to to Fire Wise requests for help in the past. Spring is coming, so roll up your sleeves and let’s work together!