Resident Resources

Welcome to Sudden Valley

We are thrilled that you have decided to make Sudden Valley your home; we believe the Valley is one of the most beautiful places in the Northwest. Sudden Valley was conceived in the late 1960’s and is now home to over 7,000 residents and an abundance of wildlife. 


Sudden Valley is proud of its community and offers activities for all ages and abilities. There are eleven neighborhood parks, some with basketball courts and playground equipment for children.

For a list of all amenities, click here. There are miles of hiking trails along the water’s edge and the upper woodlands. We also have an 18 hole golf course designed by the renowned golf course architect Ted Robinson, which offers the golfer two distinct nines. The front nine plays along the shore of the lake while the back nine is an adventure through the tree-lined hills.

The Community Center, located inside Gate 2 and housed in the historic Dance Barn, is our recreation hub. It hosts a state of the art fitness center, coffee shop, free WiFi, a small reading center, and multiple activity rooms for kids of all ages. Our two pools, the Family Pool and the Quiet Pool, are adjacent to the center. 

Sudden Valley also has five tennis courts, a basketball court, a marina, a library, and miles of trails. Please visit the Recreation page for more information. 

See also:


As a homeowners association, Sudden Valley operates under covenants, rules, and restrictions (CC & R’s) that govern property within the Community. A few examples of these include (but are not limited to) restrictions on cutting or trimming trees and making changes to the exterior appearance of one’s property and fencing. Such activities require prior approval from our Architectural Control Committee. Check out our Architectural Control Committee (ACC) for more information. This may seem like an inconvenience, however such actions require review in order to preserve property values, wildlife safety, protection of soil stability, water quality and related aspects of drainage, and adherence to the overall concept of Sudden Valley.

Restrictive Covenants are applicable to all Sudden Valley platted lots. Some later platted divisions may contain more restrictions. Please refer to Restrictive Covenants for specific divisions, which are on file with the Association offices. The Restrictive Covenants specific to your Division should have been received upon purchase of your lot or condo. If not, contact your title company.

Governing Documents

The Sudden Valley Governing Documents consist of several documents which outline and describe the fundamental practices by which the land, Membership, Board of Directors, Committee Members and the Staff Members are governed.

Articles of Incorporation

Registered with the State of Washington Corporation Commission, the Articles establish the legal entity under which Sudden Valley operates. The Articles:

  • Identify the name of the corporation
  • Defines Sudden Valley as a non profit established under Section 24.03.35 RCW
  • Designates governance of the Association by a Board of Directors
  • Defines the responsibilities of the members to the Corporation

Restrictive Covenants

Restrictive Covenants are applicable to all Sudden Valley platted lots.

  • For the mutual and reciprocal benefit of each lot
  • The owner of the lots operate as covenants for the benefit of each lot
  • All plans and specifications for any structure or improvement whatsoever to be erected on any lot, and the proposed location thereof on any lot or lots, the construction material, the roofs and exterior color schemes, any later changes or additions after initial approval thereof, and any remodeling, reconstruction, alterations or additions thereto on any lot shall be subject to and shall require the approval in writing before any such work is commenced of the Architectural Control Committee (herein called “Committee”), as the same is from time to time composed


Are the standing rules governing the regulations of the internal affairs of Sudden Valley

  • Associations standards by which the meetings, voting, duties and audits will be conducted

Board Resolutions, Rules & Regulations

The resolutions, rules & regulations governing the Association’s operations are adopted by resolution by the Board of Directors and must be consistent with restrictions and powers contained in federal and state laws as well as the Association’s Deed, Articles of Incorporation, and Bylaws. They also must reasonably relate to the Association’s purposes and policies and, their enforcement must be reasonable and fair.

Paying Dues

Dues are due the first day of the month and considered late after the last business day of the month, thereafter interest and late fees will accrue.  Payment books are mailed each year to owners.   

Payment Options:

  1. At the Administration Office: Current in-person hours are Monday – Friday from 8:30 am – 4:30 pm  We are only able to accept cash or check for dues payments at the Front Desk.
  2. The Welcome Center Drop box is located on the side of the building facing the parking lot. Payments received in the drop box after hours will be posted the next business day.
  3. Monthly dues payments can be set up free of charge through automatic withdrawal (ACH).  Click here for ACH enrollment for dues payments.  
  4. Online at you can use, Credit or Debit, or electronic check.

Property is an online portal that allows you to pay your association dues with an Echeck or Credit/Debit card.

Property Pay will ask you for two account numbers to identify the Association.

The Association ID for SVCA  is 0603
The Management ID is 5545

Property Pay will ask you for your SVCA Account Number.
This number is located on your coupon, or you can phone Sudden valley to request the number from accounting.

Please note: Online payment via card includes a fee. First Citizens Bank charges an additional 2.95% through their website, or a flat fee of $1.95 through their mobile app. There is no fee to use the e-check option. 

For more information about payment options, please contact  Accounts Receivable at 360-734-6430 x214 or 

Public Assistance

SVCA recognizes that from time to time anyone could need a little help.  If you ever find yourself in need of assistance with your dues payments, we are here to help.  Please contact our Collections Specialist at (360) 746-8435 and we’ll be happy to work with you to create a manageable plan.  Additionally, please click HERE for other avenues of public assistance should the need arise.

Architectural Control Committee

In this section you will find the entire set of Architectural Control Committee Policies as revised periodically by the SVCA Board of Directors. The guidelines are administered by the Architectural Control Committee (ACC), and enforced by the ACC, Security staff, and the Board of Directors.  The Fines schedule for violations is approved by the Board of Directors.

ACC Helpful Information

Listed here is helpful information from the ACC, including a comprehensive overview of things that are allowed without prior ACC approval.

Tree removals almost always require county approval, with a few exceptions. We recommend filing for a county permit early. Find the Whatcom County Tree Removal page and application here.

Pre-Approved Color Palette is available to view at the Admin Office between 10 am – 4 pm. A list of Benjamin Moore color names can be found on page 47 of the ACC Policies (see link above) and Sherwin Williams paint colors can be found here.

ACC Request Forms

Please print the appropriate form below, fill it out, and drop it off at the Admin Office. You can use the night drop box below the Admin window to submit your request after business hours. 

Safety, Compliance & Complaint Resolution

SVCA offers members a form which can be used to initiate investigation and action, where necessary. Our complaint form is anonymous, and Administrative Staff will assist you in directing the information you provide to the correct department to get it addressed. Call (360) 734-6430 for more information. 

Barking Dog Complaints

To report barking dog complaints, complainant(s) are invited to contact the Animal Control Dispatch office at the Whatcom Humane Society.

Before Whatcom Humane Society can issue any citations or make contact with the dog owners, they will need the complainant(s) to file a report, and fill out a Barking Log. Sudden Valley Security may work in conjunction with the Humane Society to resolve Barking Dog Complaints for our members, with animal safety and community well-being in mind. 

Community Safety

Contact Sudden Valley 24-Hour Dispatch at (360) 319-8200, CALL 9-1-1 IN CASE OF EMERGENCY 

SVCA Security is contracted through Pacific Security. We have one guard on duty per shift. Our guards are friendly and can help a lot of issues you may encounter around the Valley! Give them a call to report non life-threatening situations, and they can help document reports for Law Enforcement if necessary. 

Suggestions for community safety can be directed to the Board of Directors

Elections, Information, & Member Involvement 

Sudden Valley is governed by its members. There is ample opportunity to volunteer as a Committee member or as a Board Director to directly represent your neighbors in ways that matter. 

Find more information on committees here, then complete this form to volunteer. 


Members are welcome to request SVCA records and information. In order to protect member privacy, we require a Request for Disclosure form in order to uphold accountability when information has been shared. 


Reserve Studies

Audited Financial Statements

Tree, Stormwater, and Land Stewardship

Lake Whatcom Watershed – Tree Removal

Tree Removal Resources

Additional Info:

Contact Info:

  • Belinda Burk –
  • Michael Kershner –


Marina Resources

  • Contact Information for Marine Salvage Companies:
Company NameContact NumberEmailRemarks
Global Diving & Salvage800-441-3483info@gdiving.com
Top to Bottom Diving360-671-7022info@toptobottominc.com
Vessel Assist (Seattle)425-344-3056
Whatcom Waterfront Construction360-920-8159tracy@dillercorp.com

M/G Shipwright                                   360-371-3119                                                      Alternate number: 360-961-0613

Global Environmental                         206-623-0621                                                      DOE approved as primary response contractor
Ballard Diving and Salvage                 206-782-6750