Meet the Candidates for the 2020 Sudden Valley Board of Directors, N&E and ACC Committees!
Do you have questions for the candidates? Please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the meeting for an opportunity to have your question asked.
Join the webinar by following the Zoom invitation instructions:
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Oct 7, 2020 08:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Topic: AGM Candidate Forum
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +12532158782,,85271131643# or +16699009128,,85271131643#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592
Webinar ID: 852 7113 1643
International numbers available: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbBWw6uWPQ
This candidate forum will feature candidates for State Senator, Whatcom County Sheriff, Whatcom County Executive, County Council Member.
Candidates running for Whatcom County Council and Port Commission will be participating in a candidate forum hosted at the Dance Barn on Friday, October 27th at 6:30 p.m. Candidates participating are as follows:
Barry Buchanan – County Council At-Large
Rebecca Boonstra – County Council District 3
Michael Shepard – Port of Bellingham District 1
Barry Wenger – Port of Bellingham District 2
SVCA held two candidate forums, on 09/23 and 09/27. The candidate forum was a space for candidates to gather, and community members to listen to the responses to a pre-determined set of questions regarding our community. Each candidate answered the same questions. The audio and video to the 09/27 forum can be found here.
The association would like to provide clarification on three items that were incorrectly stated at the forum:
- Inaccurate candidate statement: The 2018 operations budget is not balanced
- Accurate response: The 2018 operations budget is balanced with no additional funding from UDR (Undesignated Reserves Fund) as shown on page 6, column 2 of the 2017 Annual General Election Booklet.
A balanced budget means the amount of income and expense anticipated is the same, so net income is zero.
- Inaccurate candidate statement: The UDR fund is where monies go that have pre-allocation to either operations, CRRRF, or roads.
- Accurate response: The Undesignated Reserves Fund, UDR, is where money collected in the current year for prior year operational dues is deposited. Money spent from this account must have prior approval by the board. It is a board-designated operations fund.
- Inaccurate candidate statement: It is in audited financial statements that we have to get a vote of the membership to borrow.
- Accurate response: This is the opposite of what it states in the audited financial statements. The 2016 Audited Financial Statements, Note 7, “If additional funds are needed, however, the association has the right to borrow funds…”. This verbiage has been included in the audited financial statements for at least the past 10 years. Copies of the 2015 and 2016 Audited Financial Statements can be found here.